History

The Sigma Pi Foundation was established in 1921 to provide permanent support for the Fraternity. The current Educational Foundation was organized in 1947 as a successor to the Sigma Pi Foundation. Named the Byron R. Lewis Educational Foundation after its original benefactor Honorary Grand Sage Byron R. Lewis (Vincennes & Illinois, 1902), the Educational Foundation began with only a few hundred dollars. Brother Lewis recommended his original gift be used for a fund to support the educational pursuits of the Fraternity in perpetuity. He hoped his example would establish a tradition of giving among the alumni of Sigma Pi. Other alumni did indeed follow Brother Lewis’ example, and by 1970, assets surpassed $10,000. Ten years later, those assets had grown to over $150,000. In 1992, the assets topped the million dollar mark. Today, the fund, known as the Sigma Pi Educational Foundation, Inc., manages assets in excess of $2.6 million and provides annual support of over $100,000 in grants to the Fraternity for leadership training and in educational scholarships to its undergraduate members.

Board of Trustees
X